All Jobs Not Created Equal


This morning I pulled my gear off the truck and packed it away in my locker for the last time in a bit. It was kind of surreal. There were tons of well wishes, handshakes, and hugs. I got hugs from dudes I never envisioned I'd be hugging in a whole career. 

The shift itself was standard. We started with a gnarly motorcycle crash that dropped 30 minutes before the shift was even supposed to start. I had just started checking out my equipment and setting up my gear on the truck, but I was there so I was going. We finished the 24 hour shift with the dreaded 06:30 AM call just before shift change. This one was the furthest thing from a true emergency. There was a whole lot of uneventful run of the mill in between. 

We even got a few hours of sleep on a Saturday night. I think the candle we've been lighting to fend off the evil spirits that create night calls is truly legit and doing it's job well. 

Thanks Firefighter Brian White for your dedication to the crew bringing this high quality candle all the way back from a recent romantic San Diego trip with your lady friend. Brian was ensured it was blessed and authentic, coming straight from Tijuana. This thing's the real deal; 100% Spanish text! Recently we've had to resort to the local King Soopers grocery store versions and they've proved to be imitations. 

The people I work with went out of their way to make this last couple of shifts memorable. I can't thank them enough. I'm truly not worthy! It was such a great mix of true compassion and good old fashioned fire house banter and shit dishing. Stuffed Tin Man will definitely be making the trip to Cleveland. The card won't...sorry. I'll try to get those Cubs socks in to the Cleveland operating room. As you can see, the whiskey is already being put to use.





Much of this process has been centered around picking a surgical procedure that will keep me healthy but won't jeopardize my ability to return to the job I love. Many I've come in contact with, especially in the medical community, just don't get it. They think a job is a job and all that should matter is my health. You can always get another job, right? I get why this is logical, but anyone in the fire service would understand why I feel the way I do. 

I've dedicated thousands of hours and dollars training and have sacrificed so much (along with my family) to do the job I love. I absolutely feel honored to serve the public and make a positive difference in the world. But honestly, it's the intangibles like what I've experienced these last couple of shifts that matter the most. I work with the most amazing people that would risk their lives for mine, but would also do the same for a total stranger. I feel so fortunate to be part of something bigger than myself. It sounds cliche, but is not an exaggeration. This job makes me happy and I'm a better father, husband, and person because of it. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome

The Winding Yellow Brick Road

Update- 9 Weeks Post Surgery