Home Sweet Home


We're home and home never felt so good! Cleveland (the City and the Clinic) exceeded our expectations, but healing is better done with your own bed in the mix and not having to work around the hotel housekeeping schedule.

Thanks to everyone for the amazing support we've received. We're overwhelmed by the awesomeness of those around us. Many have asked how the healing is going and what we're up to now, so hopefully this post will provide an update. I was really enjoying Amber's posts and wishfully thinking maybe she would just continue, but apparently it's my turn. I certainly have enough time in a chair to make myself useful.  I know I'm not nearly as funny as her, plus my heart was just stopped and put on ice less than two weeks ago, so no guarantees this will even make any sense. They say you can lose some cognition and affect can change being on that heart/lung bypass machine. They call it "Pump Head". It's real...and now my new lifelong excuse for everything!

Things are going better than I could have ever expected. We're only 12 days post op and I never would have imagined feeling as good as I do at this point. There are times I forget the thing even happened and then I roll over wrong or sneeze and am quickly reminded. There is some nagging discomfort and crazy weird sensations and muscle pains all over, but nothing excruciating. More like I got clipped by a Geo Metro but didn't take a direct hit. There is definitely fatigue noticed after my "hard core" walking sessions and at the end of the night. Lets talk about that fitness routine.

The Old Me

The New Me


Walking is the best thing for me and what I'm limited to. I will probably start a formal cardiac rehab in a month or so. Not quite as fun as being on my mountain bike this summer, but will have to do. I broke 3 miles today and an hour walking...woo hoo! Actually not too bad considering the routine the cardio rehab guy gave me recommended 3-5 minute walks 6 times a day. I wasn't "supposed" to be at this level until week 8 or something. The best part is sneaking out of the house so the dogs don't see me. They see me in my workout gear and assume we're running. Problem is, I can't have them on the leash. I'm sure Louie wouldn't hesitate to rip my sternum in half for a rabbit. It's totally normal to walk to the garage in my underwear with a bag of clothes to change in to so the dogs don't notice, right?


This is my other past time. Watching my superstar wife do everything! It's actually harder than one might think. Being that I can't lift anything beyond 10 lbs, especially pushing and pulling, she won't even let me open commercial doors. She also has to drive me everywhere. And...I'm not even supposed to ride in the front seat! Uber badass wife is literal now. Crazy how much freedom driving actually offers. Tons of perspective gained here. I should get my driving privileges back in just under a month or so.

I have been doing quite a bit of cooking since it's one way I can contribute beyond just my wit and sage wisdom. The best thing I can do to protect this new heart valve is to keep my blood pressure under control. So, we're eating a little more heart healthy. We've adopted a heavily plant based Mediterranean diet. Not cutting out meat, but cutting way back, especially on the most tasty kind. Do you ever stop missing bacon? The good thing is, wine is recommended as part of the diet! Oh...beer and whiskey too as far as I'm concerned.


So the new "heart job" got put to the test today. We took Mackenzie out for a driving lesson. She got her permit the day we left for Cleveland. I'm in the backseat wishing I still had some of those anti nausea meds they were giving me in the hospital. We survived and it's a damn good thing we have almost a year to get this whole thing dialed in. She did great.

Moving forward, I will probably be completely out of work for the next two months or so. I'll hopefully go back to light duty on a part time basis for a couple more weeks. Then I'm guessing a couple of more months, at least, on full time light duty. I plan to make the most of the time away from work. I already miss it like crazy, but how many people get to take time to solely focus on their health? I won't squander this time and will come back stronger. Thanks for tagging along on this journey with us. 

-Eric


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome

Update- 9 Weeks Post Surgery

The Winding Yellow Brick Road