Update- 9 Weeks Post Surgery



9 weeks ago today we invested in the pricey rebuild kit for my faulty heart valve. So far it's proving worthy of the extra sacrifice and trip to BelieveLand.

I've been told on numerous occasions I really suck at updating this blog. This is very true and I've caved to the guilt, so here goes. It's so appreciated some have actually taken the time to follow along. As we've mentioned before, the outpouring of support has been humbling and is so very appreciated.

As anticipated, recovery has been full of ups and downs. Overall, I feel so fortunate and couldn't expect to be in a better place than I am now. I've been reminded on numerous occasions to be patient with recovery, and my favorite, "listen to your body". I'm not exactly overflowing with patience and sometimes feel that if we always listened to our bodies we'd all be overweight addicted to prescription pain meds and wearing holes in our couch, or Rascal Scooter seat (think WALL-E movie). With that being said, my stubborn butt is finding that recovery DOES take patience and you really DO need to listen to your body. I'm a slow learner...

I went from this 3 1/2 mile hike at 2 weeks post op:

To this a couple weeks later:

The hospital stay last month was our biggest bump in the recovery road, but proved to be a good reset and positive smack in the face for me. Fortunately, it turned out to just be a funky virus and not endocarditis as we feared. I had just started formal cardiac rehab and was feeling so good to have that structure and to physically push my body again in a controlled setting. I was only in the hospital for three days but it ended up costing close to two weeks worth of rehab by the time I felt well enough and was cleared to return. We're back on track now and improving every session.

Cardiac rehab consists of working out in a small gym alongside 10 or so others with varying heart conditions. Our workout programs are tailored to us all individually, based on our condition and level of health. Our hearts and blood pressures are monitored throughout the entire session. I'm the youngest in my group by at least 20 years, but I love it all the same. I'm still waiting to get invited to join a bridge club or something similar soon. I'm getting nervous they don't like me.

The staff makes sure I'm patient with my recovery and don't overdo it. They could see my kind coming a mile away. I was excited to see free weights on my workout plan on the first day until they handed me these...
No joke at all...these are the exact weights they started me with and made me use for the first couple of weeks! You should see the massive pump I get after ripping off bicep curls with these bad boys.

I did my time with the 3 pounders and have since progressed. I'm currently running on the treadmill, going fairly high intensity on the rower, and using the universal weight machine. Wow, does it feel good to work and sweat again!

Along with these privileges in the gym, I've also gained some freedoms at home. Most importantly, I can drive again! I don't know if this was more of a treat for me or Amber. Not driving for two months was possibly the most difficult aspect of recovery. It was like being on house arrest. Don't get me wrong, my wife is absolutely amazing and would drop everything to take me anywhere, but it sucks to ask...especially when things like beer supplies get low. It also sucks to be here but not able to help out.

I'm also now cleared to ride my bike, skateboard, and run (more of a plod) again. Well, I never really asked about the skateboard, but I'm saying it's good, cause what could go wrong there? This helps a bunch to liven my exercise regimen on non cardiac rehab days.





Progress means it's time to get back to reality and say goodbye to this taste of retirement. I will be starting back to work tomorrow and am really excited about it (almost as excited as Amber 😋). Can't wait to see all of my amazing coworkers and to get reconnected with work. I'll be doing light duty in the office, starting back on a part time basis for a few weeks. I've never worked the office 9 to 5 in my nearly 18 years of employment, so we'll see if they can handle having me there. I'll be examining "Office Space" tonight like game film to learn how to survive in that habitat.

The next big step, and working goal, will be getting strong enough to get back on line and on the truck with my crew again. I'm hoping this can happen by early 2018. But for now, it'll be steering clear of the Bobs and not letting the copier get in my head.

One disappointing aspect of heading back to work is the loss of the post surgery beard. I had a good one going and poured a lot of love in to it. Any firefighter will tell you...er, any male firefighter will tell you, that there's no more beautiful way to celebrate time off than by growing out that scruff. We silly humans always want what we can't have. I could have kept the mustache but would have been disowned by the family. Some dudes, especially firefighters, look cool with staches, I look creepy like uncle Rico.

Thank you all for everything. If you made it this far, wow-impressive, that took some effort. I really do feel so very fortunate to be where I am at this point and to have had the opportunity to take care of my health. Just barely over two month ago my heart was stopped and put on ice, chest sawed and pried open, and my aorta dissected and remodeled. I've been blessed with some of the best health care possible for my condition. Not everyone can say the same and I certainly don't take it for granted. I've also been blessed with some of the best support known to man, especially my amazing do it all wife who I'm more in awe of every day. Onward...

Eric

Comments

  1. I gotta say this is pretty inspiring to see. We had (almost) the exact same surgery, I had mine on July 14th of this year. I actually stumbled onto your blog just a few days before I went under, and it's taken me this long to find it again.

    I've been struggling with that patience too, there's been a lot of concerts I've missed because of not feeling well enough to go.

    It's good to see you're doing well after some roadblocks, I've had a couple as well. I came down with some sort of cold or flu and thought it was endocarditis as well but we dodged that one and since then it's been pretty smooth.

    Keep updating the page, man. I'll be checking back every now and then!
    Thanks from North of the border
    Travis

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome

The Winding Yellow Brick Road